The purpose of the PAI research is to better understand challenges underrepresented minority (URM) postdocs face in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) disciplines. Those participating will complete an online survey and a phone interview in order to assess the challenges and self-efficacy/identity of URM postdocs. Study participants will receive a monetary compensation in the form of a $50 Amazon gift card for completing both the survey and interview.
Participation in this research study has the potential to significantly inform STEM faculty on how to support URM postdocs as they transition into the professoriate. In particular, this study will:
- provide an opportunity for URM postdocs to share their unique experiences in academia
- increase our understanding of the challenges URM postdocs encounter in STEM disciplines
- lead to better preparation of URM postdocs in STEM disciplines
- improve mentoring for URM postdocs in STEM disciplines
- and allow us to develop new ways to improve support programs for URM postdocs seeking STEM faculty positions
Please note, all the data collected will be kept confidential, and only the researchers involved in the AGEP project will have access to the data. For any further clarification on the research goals, please contact Dr. Aman Yadav by email email@example.com or phone (517) 884-2094.
University of Illinois • Indiana University • University of Iowa • University of Michigan • Michigan State University • University of Minnesota • University of Nebraska-Lincoln • Northwestern University • Ohio State University • Pennsylvania State University • Purdue University • University of Wisconsin-Madison
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under AGEP-Transformation #1309028 and #1309173. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.