To be eligible to submit a FreeApp waiver request form, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree by the August preceding enrollment in the graduate program
- Apply for admission to a Ph.D. program or Master of Fine Arts program
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.
- Have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale)
- Intend to pursue an academic and/or research career
FreeApp requests are processed throughout the year, but note that the University of Minnesota has a deadline of November 15.
The criteria listed above are the minimum requirements for consideration. The FreeApp waiver program is very competitive, and a limited number of waivers are available. FreeApp waivers are granted by each university according to their local criteria and on a case-by-case basis.